Have you ever thought about how many decisions you make in a day? As a business owner or high level leader you are in charge of making decisions most of the time! Even as a parent, spouse, homeowner, etc there are multiple decisions that need to be made every day. Research shows that the average adult makes about 35,000 decisions every day! No wonder people get stressed, tired, and frustrated so often!
When you are a business owner you need to have time where you take a break from being in charge. You need to give yourself opportunities to let someone else take the lead for a bit. We make so many decisions everyday, sometimes we just start making decisions without thinking it through. It can wear you out and you might not be as wise in your choices when you have decision fatigue. Several successful business owners have talked about how they wear the same thing everyday so that they have one less decision they have to make!
The key is to find time to step away from being in charge and making decisions. Here are 4 benefits you will get if you make a point to do this:
- Your mind will have time to recharge. There are many scientific studies that show the importance of letting your mind rest. By letting someone else make decisions, you will find rest and peace that can help recharge you for the next season!
- You can spend time thinking. When not having to decide what your kids are going to wear, how to handle employee disputes, or which payroll system you will use, it gives you time to think. You can step away with a notebook and pen and take time to capture your thoughts. You might even have an epiphany that will grow your business 10x or solve a family situation.
- It gives you a chance to reconnect with your family. Taking time to have fun with your kids and date your spouse without making decisions will refresh your personal life and cultivate your relationships.
- You can plan ahead! Summer is a great time to step away and start planning for the busy season that is coming. Fall tends to pick up in my business and with kids starting school and activities back it can get hectic really quickly!
Take a break from being in charge and see what it does for your family, business, and personal life. You will be more productive in the long run and make wiser decisions in the future. Here are some things you can do to take a break from being in charge:
- Give your team a heads up. Prep your team ahead of time that you will be out of contact for an allotted amount of time. Prepare them on the front end and let them go.
- Put your phone in the other room. When you get home, unplug. Even if it’s just for a few hours.
- Gather with people that know you need to relax. The right group of friends that can help you unplug and be more free is critical.
- Go to a friend’s house for an evening. This takes the stress off of you having to plan stuff at home.
I hope that you have found this information helpful and that it inspires you to give it a try. I have found that it has made a huge difference for me in my productivity and in my personal life.
I would love to answer any questions you may have.
You can email me at email@example.com or send us a message through a contact form.
Make sure to stay connected with me on social media: